Dropdown menu

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday Tea Time: Harney & Sons

Me, Camy, Emily
On the Sunday we were in New York, Camy and I got to go to TWO tea places. Our afternoon stop was at Harney & Sons. Yes, it was a tea heaven kind of day. And let me tell you, a day at Harney & Sons is definitely tea heaven. One of my all-time favorite teas is their Hot Cinnamon Spice tea. So I was excited to find out from Emily Rodmell that they have a store in SoHo.

Since Emily is the one who told us about this wonderful place, we invited her to join us. Due to our earlier mishap in finding the church and needing to get poor Fiona back to the hotel safely with our confused directions, we ended up getting to the shop late, but fortunately in time to catch Emily. Note to future tea travelers: if you're meeting someone in a strange city, make sure you have a way to get in touch with them if you have navigational issues.

The Menu. All tea.
So... the most important thing you need to know about this wonderful place is the tea selection. WOW!! I was in love and had a really hard time trying to decide which one to get. I finally settled on the Lapsang Souchong. I'd heard from Deanna Raybourn that it's a great tea (not specifically Harney's, but just in general), and I'd never tried it. I decided that since I'd gone with an old faithful earlier, I tried it.

I learned that I'm not a fan of Lapsang Souchong. I personally don't like the smoky flavor, so I don't think I will do that one again. It's a flavor thing, not the fault of my good friend Mr. Harney. (Okay, so I don't know him. But I'd love to be his BFF.)


LOVED this cup. I want it!
I did buy some other tea to bring home. First, because you know I had to, I bought my favorite, Hot Cinnamon Spice, and then, since I am trying new things, I bought two others: Tower of London Blend, which is AMAZING and I am so sad that I didn't buy more; and Green Tea with Coconut & Ginger, which is also amazing and I highly recommend it iced. I have made several pitchers of the iced Green Tea with Coconut & Ginger- I even served it to company and they loved it.



Stop by in SoHo

As for the experience at the tea shop itself- the staff was lovely, and it was such a pleasant experience for us. Emily said that she goes there often with a friend, and you could tell it was one of those places where they know the regulars. Very friendly, and if I lived nearby, I would spend a lot of time there. It's definitely on my list of places to return to when I go back.

The best news about this tea review is that you can enjoy these teas without having to go to New York. (Though I highly recommend taking the trip.) Their teas are available on the website (Thank God, because I am already running low. My vulture children have been drinking it all. This is what happens when you teach your children to like good tea. They drink all of yours!)

And, if I may share the worst news, it is about the career I should have had, and wish somehow I could still have. Becoming a tea buyer. Wow!! You've got to check out the Harney travel blog. I seriously need that job. I have no idea how to do it, because at least in this case, your last name needs to be Harney, but wow, oh wow. I would sell my soul, er, well, how about my second born? to do this! Seriously, I now have on my travel goal list to go on some kind of tea tour and get up close and personal with tea like this. Super cool!

2 comments:

Jana said...

Ooo, I love the Harney and Sons website. I've bought the cinnemon spice and loved it. I get lost trying to decide what all to order. lol

Have you ever heard of Stash Tea? I've ordered some pretty decadent teas from there, too. Chocolate Hazelnut, caramel vanilla (I think) and the coconut mango (I think it's mango) is delish, too.


So jealous that you got to try out these cool places while in NY. ;-)

Danica/Dream said...

Jana, I've had Stash tea, though I don't think I have any on hand. Those varieties sound really yummy!

Well, RWA is in NYC again in 4? years. So plan on coming! We'll do tea!