Dropdown menu

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Procrastination is a thief

I've been trying to get to bed at midnight. However, it seems like there's so much to do!! I was watching my beloved Joyce Meyer tonight, and she said some things that God really nailed me on.

She said that you don't want to be the same person at the end of this year as you were at the beginning. Not that you're a bad person, but that you want to be better and better. Wow. See, that's what I'm always striving for-to be better and better. But the way she put it, it just hit me. I hope that this year, we all strive to be better people than who we are. I know that's my big goal.

More improtantly, though, she said that procrastination is a thief. We all wait for the perfect time to do something. I know I do. You know, like when the kiddos are sleeping, or I have more time, or I have more money, or I have... whatever. We want it to be comfortable. But change is never comfortable, and that's not really the point-our comfort. If it were, we'd just be content staying the same. Oh wait, most of us are.

How are we going to get the blessings we seek if we just sit on our thumbs saying, "God, I know my life sucks, so just wave your magic wand and fix it, will ya?" And God, because He loves us, says, "Sure, just do this one thing..." But then we, in our infinite stupidity say, "Sure, I'll do it when..."

Um, NO!

Unless God says to wait, we need to get off our thumb sucking tushies and DO IT. When God says, "GO," we need to go. Now.

When Joyce talked about procrastination being a thief, it made me realize how much my, "I'll do it whens..." have cost me. I wonder how much it has cost others I could have helped. Sometimes I wonder if God isn't sitting up there, going, "D'OH!" at each one of us who have millions of great reasons why we aren't doing it, because He's saying, "When I said, DO IT, I gave you everything you needed." Does He just rip His hair out because He knows our thinking, and yet He sees the reality of our situation. That we don't need all the things we think we need, and if we'd just rely on Him, we'd be just fine.

It makes me sick to realize that as much as I can blame my present situation on all sorts of external circumstances, the truth is, I ignored Him so many times, or served up my excuses on a silver platter lined with chocolate, that I really have no one to blame but myself.

I'm going to be a better me this year. No, this isn't some dumb resolution, this is another step in my ongoing quest to be the woman God created me to be. I hope that others will take this challenge and just do it. Stop letting stupid excuses get you down, but to just say, "YES!" when God comes knocking and DO IT.

No comments: