Dropdown menu

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #36: Vacation Edition


Thirteen Things about Vacation!!


Last week, I posted a happy blog about Spring. And then March, the snowiest month in Colorado, arrived. I can no longer see my backyard. I am depressed. So I thought what better way to forget the depressing weather that awaits than to blog about going on Vacation!!! Starting with planned vacations and ending with hoped-for vacations...

1. Silent Retreat. In just one more week, I'll be up in the mountains, enjoying a retreat with our church. Sadly, it won't involve sun, warm weather, massages, or anything remotely tropical, but it'll be a nice break.
2. Writer's Retreat. Our local ACFW chapter is planning a retreat for the end of April. Very much hoping to attend. That one's in the mountains, too.
3. May writer's conferences. Actually, I'm undecided on this. I want to go, but not sure I have the $$. There's a couple I'm looking at, so we'll see.
4. South Dakota. One of my dear friends lives up there and I'm thinking about going up for a long weekend with the family in July.
5. Illinois. Another trip I'd like to take to visit some friends- we've talked about this summer, but haven't set a date.
6. RWA San Francisco. End of July, first of August. That one's already reserved and mostly paid for. Just need the plane tickets.
7. ACFW Minneapolis. End of September.
8. Florida. Going to see my dad in January.
9. CRUISE!! January. It's a writer's conference. I'm teaching.

Huh... most of this is work-related, isn't it? Not a lot of vacationing going on. But that's what's on my calendar already. So here's what I'd like to put on my calendar.

10. Pennsylvania. I really want (and need!) to visit my grandma. It'd also be a good chance to catch up with other family I haven't seen in a long time.
11. Someplace warm and sunny. Like NOW. At least I'll be doing that next January when it's super cold and yucky here.
12. Mexico. I've been there once, to build a church in a dusty town far away from anything resembling a beach. Some friends are there now, doing mission work in Puerta Vallarta, and I think I'd like to check it out.
13. Israel. Totally not happening this year, or probably any time real soon, but wanted to get it on my list, since I keep running into folks who are going in the near future. I miss that place. I lived there for a summer and loved it. Missed a lot of things I'm learning about now and need to go back and reconnect.

So where are you escaping to this year? Or where would you like to escape to?

** Special thanks this week goes out to Hootin' Anni for her lovely header.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



11 comments:

Melli said...

Mmmmmm... I would be happy if I JUST had those couple of retreats scheduled! You've got a lot of traveling on your plate! Enjoy it all! Hope it warms up for ya ... maybe by MAY! (my daughter used to live in the Springs!)

Danica Favorite said...

Thanks for stopping by, Melli. It'll warm up. I'm sure it'll be back in the 60s soon... just in time for another snowstorm. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a lot of traveling happening. I'm still dreaming of going back to Great Britain and also fitting in Ireland... hmmm maybe 2009 Lord willing...

Anonymous said...

Dang, I'd love to go to a writer's conference, but I don't think That Man would be up for that. The closest to vacation I'll get this year is a home office trip to MN in July.

Danica Favorite said...

Ellen, those are places on my list too!

Joely, I hope you get to go to a conference soon!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, that's quite a list. Sounds like some fabulous trips you've already got scheduled.

Anonymous said...

I hope you manage to have the vacations you want. Come see us when you're in Florida!

Kaige said...

I'm jealous. Where do I sign up for a vacation? Guess I'll have to convince the DH to let me have the free ticket from his FF miles...

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Open Grove Claudia said...

Arg - I'm just sick of being cold - and more snow today! bleck. I can't tell where you are - I'm in Denver.

I want to go somewhere warm... anywhere warm.... sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear,
I'm feeling a twinge of that unpleasant envy emotion... I squash it and wish you safe travels instead.
Do be sure to visit your Grandma!

Hootin Anni said...

My sister lives on the western slope, and I have heard some 'horror' stories about Colorado this year. Sure glad we moved out.

thanks for the visit.