Dropdown menu

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Country Mouse Citified

I grew up in a small town. So small, that until a couple years ago, you couldn’t call my grandma and tell her something private because one of the neighbors on the party line was always listening. I was the stereotypical “I can’t wait to get out of this town” person. I left for college and never looked back. I return for the occasional family visit, but mostly, I’m content to remain near the city, where Dairy Queen, Starbucks and Safeway are all a short walk away.

Today, as I headed down the freeway, enjoying the feeling of breezing past the other cars, I saw an old pickup truck with some unusual features. “How quaint,” I thought, admiring how cute they’d done up their truck. Perfectly country, and definitely something out of Hicksville. As I continued to exclaim over how adorable this out of place pickup was, I realized something.

We had that kind of truck growing up.

I probably won’t admit this story to my family, since they all think I’ve grown way too big for my britches and turned into some kind of city snob. And maybe I have. But it’s interesting to know that as much as you’ve taken the mouse out of the country and firmly implanted her in the city, there are some country things you just can’t take away.

2 comments:

Kay Day said...

I'm a country girl at heart. Always will be I think. I really enjoyed our trip through the heartland. I think I could enjoy living in any of those little towns if it weren't for the weather. I hate tornados.

But my hubby is a city boy at heart and always will be. I think we live in the perfect compromise where we are.

I would love - LOVE to own an old country pickup!!

Danica Favorite said...

Yeah, I thought that too as we drove up to Greeley to visit relatives. Some of those farms were gorgeous. And then we drove by a place torn up by the tornado. Uh, no thanks...