Dropdown menu

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Inspy... then I'm outtie...

As you can tell from my last post, I have great plans. Great, I tell you, great. But have you ever noticed how, when you commit to positive change, life throws stuff at you as if to say, "yeah right."

That was today.

Er, how about we scoot back to yesterday afternoon? I fell asleep on the couch watching a movie with kiddo, trying to entice her into a nap. Didn't work out so good. Apparently, while I was sleeping, kiddo tried to wake me, and I told her to go away. Don't remember. What I do remember is waking up to a flooded basement. Yup. Kiddo was trying to tell me that the basement toilet was overflowing. Oops. So we had a little talk about what EMERGENCY means and that mommy saying "go away" doesn't count during one. *sigh*

We spent the rest of the time leading up to older kiddo's soccer party cleaning up flooded basement. The good news is I think we managed to save everything. The bad news is I didn't get anything else (like the stuff on my list) accomplished.

Fast forward to 6:30 a.m. Aka time of "wake mommy and die." Yeah, you know what's coming. Actually, not vomit this time. But screaming, "mommy I have a headache," and 101 fever comes awfully close. And her tummy was upset, so I feared vomit. I spent the entire day with sick kiddo attached to me like stink on a warthog (I LOVE that line! So glad they make kiddo movies inspy for grownups).

I'd planned on writing. And I did get in 3 pages in between "mooooooooooooommmmmmyyy." I'd planned on doing a little exercise. And I think five minutes counts as a "little" exercise. I'd planned on doing some work site updates. And I finished them about ten minutes ago. I'd planned on reading a book. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Here's the inspy part of my lovely not so lovely messed up plans. I very easily could have thrown in the towel. Tomorrow, there will be several in the laundry, thanks to my new de-germing plan. But here's the thing... we let a lot of things stop us from reaching our goals. Flooded basements happen. Sick kiddos happen. But darn it, I have a book to write. Maybe I didn't meet the full goal, but I did make progress.

We have to learn to accept that the perfect circumstances for whatever it is we're trying to do may never happen. We just have to dig in and do it anyway. I think sometimes we're thrown challenges to find out if we're really serious about what we say we're going to do, or if we let every little thing stop us. And I feel like I can say that because I'll tell you honestly, I've been doing a lot of that lately. Well, this circumstance didn't work out right... Kiddo blew this up, so I had to fix a big mess... whine, whine, whine.

Today, I finally said, "that's enough." I can either sit and whine about how yet again, my perfect day got blown to bits, or I can try to piece together what I can to make progress. And maybe tomorrow, things will blow up again and I'll sulk in my tea for another day. But maybe, hopefully, I'll remember how great it felt to know that I accomplished something really good in spite of all the yuck, dig in, and do it again.

No comments: