Dropdown menu

Friday, July 25, 2008

Mamma Mia!

My girlfriends and I went to see it last night, and I'm having a hard time deciding if I like it or not. Before you read further, you need to know that there's lots of spoilers.

The good: I loved the friendship storyline of both sets of women. I hope that twenty years from now, I've got some friends like that who know everything about me, love me, and can lighten my load with the laughter we've shared for a lifetime.

The bad: We know I love romance. It was sweet that mom got her man. Not so sweet that the daughter decided to run off with the guy and not get married. With each new movie, I'm getting more frustrated with the lack of respect for marriage. I'm tired of people shacking up. Why do we keep glorifying behavior that utterly lacks glory? That gripe aside, both romances lacked solid motivation. I didn't find myself terribly emotionally invested in either, except that I love romance and demand to see it go through a satisfying process.

The ugly: Most of the singing was atrocious at best. I can't believe the guys from ABBA were in charge of this project and were okay with the slaughtering of their music. As I told my friend Diane (who groaned with me through the movie), my life would have been complete without ever hearing Pierce Brosnan sing. Whatever happened to dubbing over the actors' voices with people who can sing?

Did I like the movie? I dunno. Will I see it again? Not sure. However, it does make me want to see the stage production. I think it would be much better on stage.

2 comments:

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

It's a sad state of affairs that marriage is held in so little esteem. Doesn't seem that the world will go back to how things used to be either.

Audra Krell said...

I hated this movie. One of the all time worst I have ever seen. I'm "different" and didn't like the musical though. As a musician (vocalist) I can't even believe how bad Pierce was and Meryl wasn't good either. The young main character can sing, but people laughed every time Pierce opened his mouth. I was so disappointed that they didn't get married.