Dropdown menu

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Making a joyful noise

When I was a little girl, I loved reading the Psalms. I found a verse for just about everything. My favorite part of the Bible, though, was Psalm 100. Because I didn't grow up in a Christian home, the only Bible I had access to was my aunt's old King James version, and to this day, when it comes to my old favorites, it's the only one that feels right:

1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

5For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.


As I'm sitting here today, in what will most likely be my last Panera day of the year with my friends Kay, Robbie, and Michele (who is leaving us, sniff sniff), we are surely making a joyful noise. Kay had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe.

I just love how we can come together and just enjoy each other's presence, and in the midst of it, feel like the Lord is smiling down on us. He created this day, this moment, just for this. Love that!

5 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Ahhh...Danica...virtual hug! God is good!

Kay Day said...

Oh, Danica.
I can't think of a single smart aleck thing to say to this. Well, actually....
But I'll keep it to myself.

Janet Spaeth said...

A good friend will make you laugh so hard your drink comes out your nose.

Of course, as you get older, a little different dynamic comes into play, but that's another story for another day.

I have a friend, a co-worker, who is so wildly funny that I have spit, drooled, and made embarrassingly snorty sounds in public...all of which makes me laugh even more.

Truly laughter is a "joyful noise." I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks, Danica! I love it!

Jan Parrish said...

Great post Danica. I especially love that passage in the King James.

siteseer said...

nothing like a good scripture to warm the soul. Thanks for this post.