Dropdown menu

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sick Kids, Working Husbands, and Life

It's been a crazy week.

Monday morning, my 9yo woke up with a bad cough and didn't want to go to school. This is the kid who never wants to miss school, so I knew she was sick. The next day, ditto. I took her to the doctor, and the poor kid had a bad case of bronchitis. Some antibiotics and more time off school later, I have a semi normal kid back.

Monday also began hubby's insane work schedule. He went to work at 6:30 a.m., came home around 4p.m., then went back to work at 11p.m. He got home around 8a.m., then went back to work at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. He didn't get home again until 2p.m. on Wednesday. He went back to work at 10p.m. on Wednesday, then came home at 4a.m. Thursday, he worked from 8a.m. until 4p.m. Today was a normal day- from 6:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Crazy, right? This week, I got a taste of being a single mom- except I have a great husband working hard to support us. But I was stuck at home with a sick kid and life got pretty messed up for me. As I watched my exhausted husband go from work to falling into bed for a couple of precious hours and back to work again, I realized I wasn't the only one paying attention to his hard work and dedication. My daughter, who is usually in school and doesn't see daddy's long hours, realized just how hard her father works.

As I explained to our daughter about what a great dad she's got, I realized just how much I take for granted what an amazing husband I have. Sure, I tell him that he's great, but how often do I let him know that I appreciate him? So I've been telling him more, and making it known. He's not perfect, but he does his best. He's a pretty great guy, and I'm lucky to have him.

The more I started appreciating my hubby, the more I started to realize that I have a lot of wonderful things in my life that I don't always appreciate the way I should. So today, I am grateful. And appreciative. More importantly, I'm trying to take notice of the things I need to show more appreciation for. There's a lot to appreciate about this world.

What do you need to take notice of and appreciate?

2 comments:

Diane Marie Shaw said...

When we start looking at all we have and cultivate a grateful heart it pleases God. It also makes things nice at home. :)
Glad your daughter is doing better.
Did your husband read the nice things you said about him? I hope so.

Danica Favorite said...

Thanks Diane. I think he appreciated it.