Dropdown menu

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Back from RWA

I have about a million things to catch up on, and yet here I am, blogging. Everyone keeps asking how RWA was, and I struggle to come up with a good answer. I had a great time. A lot of really good things happened. But I also found a lot of stuff stirred up inside me and I'm not yet sure what to do with it. Nor am I sure what to do with the overwhelming pile of stuff that stacked up while I was gone.

The thing I hate about going away is that life still goes on all around you, and you have to come home to a world that didn't hit pause because you did. I've always said that I'd love to spend a month in the mountains with no Internet, TV, or other connection to the outside world, and just be. Which is a fabulous idea, except the world will still be waiting for me when I get back.

I know everyone thinks I'm such an extrovert, but I truly am an introvert who works really hard at being friendly when I have to be out in the world. Some days I do better than others, but after a week of having to be on, I'd really like to be off.

Are any of you introverts? How do you recover from being away for over a week?

3 comments:

ME said...

I know just how you feel. I have to go to conferences for a week at a time where I am pitching, talking, and generally being a cruise director. Exhausting. After a week of it, I am sick of myself. Usually come home and become a hermit for a week or two to catch up and re-group. And, let's be honest, travelling just isn't what it used to be ... way more delays, hassles and inconveniences.

Mystery and Mayhem said...

Danica, I am very much like you. I don't do crowds too well, and don't walk up to people and start chatting. After last year's conference, I needed a week just to assimilate all I'd learned and another to be by myself. I live in the boonies, and go for days without seeing anyone but my family, so meeting strangers is hard for me.

Danica Favorite said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! And yes, I'm very much enjoying hermit time now that I'm home. My kids go back to school in two weeks, and I think I'll spend that first week ALONE doing nothing. :)