Dropdown menu

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm not a slacker of a mom, so hahaha

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

My Lent project with my 6yo is um... going. I'm also not beating myself up over it.

I realized that I need to give myself a break when it comes to her. I mean, what other kid has a parent DEVOTING her Lent to figuring out how to help her daughter and connect with her? Don't answer that question if you know of anyone else who is. Let me have my moment.

I will say, for those keeping score, I have been remembering to give my daughter her vitamins every morning before school, AND I have noticed that giving her fish oil every morning has really helped her performance and behavior. So take that!

Today, I had an acupuncture appointment, and she gave me some homeopathic stuff to give to my kiddo. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I am strongly opposed to medicating children, which is why I'm sort of glad (even though I'd really like to know what her deal is) no one will diagnose her. I have a feeling that the logical diagnosis will turn into a long debate with school and medical officials about the fact that I don't want to give my kid drugs. So it's weird that I'm now considering this homeopathic stuff. Granted, it's not like I'm putting speed in my kid, and it is all natural stuff, so maybe it's really not as bad as I think it is. I just really want her brain to develop and for her to learn how to control her behavior without turning her into a zombie.

I'm still not spending the kind of time with her that I'd like, but tonight I'm going to a girl's night out and bringing her along. No, it's not one on one time, but I think she'll have more fun (okay, I KNOW she'll have more fun, because there will be babies present, and she loves babies), and it'll make her feel like a grown up to get to come to mommy's grown up activity.

Is anyone else making progress on their Lenten project? If you're feeling like you're slacking, what can you do to not feel like so much of a slacker?

2 comments:

Denise Miller Holmes said...

I have a feeling you would feel like a slacker no matter what. What you're doing now is being a good mom and paying attention to your child's behavior while there is still time to do something about it. You're also paying attention to her emotional needs. This is what good moms do! Yay you! :D

Danica Favorite said...

Aw thanks.