Dropdown menu

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

My friend Robert

When I was a little girl, my teacher gave me a poster that I loved. Something happened to it when we moved (I suspect my mom threw it out), and I've always missed it.

The poster was a picture of a beautiful forest, with Robert Frost's poem, The Road Not Taken, printed within. It's still one of my favorite poems, and a couple of weeks ago, I saw a scene that reminded me again of the poem.

 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood

and sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

and looked down one as far as I could

to where it bent in the undergrowth;





Then took the other, as just as fair,

and having perhaps the better claim

because it was grassy and wanted wear;

though as for that, the passing there

had worn them really about the same,




And both that morning equally lay

in leaves no feet had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.




I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --

I took the one less traveled by,

and that has made all the difference



Actually, we didn't take the path less traveled by, as you can see from the pictures, it dead-ended, and there were a lot of signs telling people not to leave the paved path. But it was still a beautiful walk, and a beautiful day, and even though it was just me and my friend Tess, I'd like to think my friend Robert was with us too, and that he would have enjoyed the walk just as much as we did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but we take our imaginations with us. Thanks for the walk.

Danica Favorite said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lovely walk.