Dropdown menu

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Simplifying in the new year

Well, I'd hoped to kick off the new year with a new blog, but I spent almost the entire month of December with one virus or another, so it's not quite ready yet. I'm hoping, though, that it will be soon, and worth the wait!

In the meantime, I'm here!

And, over the holidays, really, before the holiday, I've been thinking a lot about my focus for the coming year. For me, it's all about simplifying. My pre-holiday rant along with some of the things I've been reading over the past few months has me very convicted over how complicated and full my life is. My daughter can't keep her room clean because she has so many clothes that they don't all fit in her drawers. Which led me to asking myself, does she NEED that many clothes? A friend of mine mentioned that her children are only allowed 14 outfits each. Wow... When she first said that, I thought that there was no way I could get my kids to do that. And now, as I fight to get my kid to clean her room, I think maybe it wasn't so crazy after all. Which is why I'm working really hard to have all of us reduce the amount of STUFF we have in our home.

Then, there is my schedule and my commitments. Since I was in high school, probably even earlier, I have been the Queen of Overcommitment. And with everything going on in my life that I have no control over, I realized that it's time to say, "Enough." So I've been evaluating those... and cutting.

And what about our money? Again, I can't help but think of how all this extra stuff we have... we spent money on. I keep thinking about all of our financial goals and how they seem so far off, but what if I just didn't spend money on junk we don't need? Could the important things be more of a reality if I simplified?

So that's my plan for the year. Over the next few days, I'll talk more in detail about them, but that's the gist of where I'm heading this year, and into the future.

No comments: