Dropdown menu

Monday, June 11, 2012

Does God care what I weigh??

I've been up and down on the whole weight loss thing.

On one hand, my doctor would like me to lose about 15 pounds. And since my BMI is slightly on the overweight side (depending on which BMI chart you look at), I have been trying off and on to lose the pounds. On the other hand, it's hard, and when I try to lose weight, I often end up either a.) gaining weight or b.) so cranky that I don't even like myself.

And I go back and forth on the body image issue. I'll admit, I don't like the way I look when I'm on the heavier side of the scale. Even when people tell me I look fine, I don't feel fine, and it really bugs me. But then I start debating with myself about body image and learning to like and accept the body I have. But then I get worried that since my doctor says it's a health issue, and my family has weight issues, then I really should worry more about my weight.

Then today I read this great article about God's view of our weight and how Rick Warren's church is using the idea to lose weight. I've always agreed with the idea that our body is the temple of God and we should take care of it, but for whatever reason, until I read this article, I never thought about that connection to what we weigh. Don't get me wrong here... I think that God still loves us whether we weigh 300 pounds or 120. But I wonder if sometimes He looks at us and is sad because we could be so much more and do so much more with our bodies if only we took better care of ourselves.

Has anyone tried The Daniel Plan? Have you thought about what God thinks of your weight?

No comments: