Dropdown menu

Monday, August 13, 2012

Sending your kid off on the next adventure

[caption id="attachment_4018" align="alignleft" width="300"] Daddy and his girls on the night his biggest one is leaving.[/caption]

Our eldest daughter just left for boot camp. A lot of people keep asking us, "are you upset?" or "are you worried?"  My honest answer is, "no. We're excited for her."

Sure, I understand that she's going in to the Army, and yes, that means she'll be around guns, and potentially going in to conflict. But I'm a firm believer in kids needing to get out of the nest and away from friends and family to see the bigger picture of life outside of what is known. She's also following something she's passionate about. She's a very talented photographer, and was able to get a job doing photography for the Army. Since graduating high school, she's been a little adrift, trying to figure out how to make photography work, but not being excited about the options. She's finally excited about this option. It's a cool opportunity. One of the guys she talked to who has the job she'll be doing told her that over the past six years, he's visited every continent except Antarctica.

So am I worried? A little. But that danger exists out there for everyone, not just our daughter. Watching her grow up, I've learned that I can't protect her from every danger, and she's going to make her own choices. The one thing that got me through it has been praying for her. I am firmly convinced that prayer has made all the difference. So I'm going to keep praying, and let the rest take care of itself.

I hope you'll join me in praying for our kiddo. She's pretty amazing, and we're excited and proud of her new journey.

2 comments:

Lisa C said...

My husbands grandfather was an aerial photographer in WWI.

DanicaFavorite said...

That's awesome! I honestly didn't know that photography was even a job until she told us what she was doing. :) Apparently, there aren't many who have this job, so that makes it even more neat.