Dropdown menu

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

And then I have to watch Joyce Meyer

Most of you know by now that I adore Joyce Meyer. You can add her to my "beloved" list. *sticks tongue out at That Man* Anyway, it's my habit that instead of watching the negative news, I watch Joyce (and the program before her). Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't, because now that we have cable, we have about a million channels and I never remember which is which.

But, because I'm TRYING to make this spiritual life of mine more of a priority, I'm trying to treat her show like I treat my beloved Veronica. *gasp* So it's something I try to do daily, and end up doing a few times a week. So I'm watching tonight's show. It's on managing your emotions.

Aka Danica shouldn't let her homicidal tendencies rule her universe. Crap. Well, actually, I can FEEL homicidal, I just shouldn't BE homicidal. What fun is that?

It made me realize that as much as I want to kill all the idiots in the universe, especially those I ranted about yesterday, it's not exactly what Jesus would do. As Joyce so helpfully pointed out, we can't control the idiots (well, she didn't use the word idiots), but we can control ourselves. We can control how we react. It doesn't mean we can't be angry, we just can't act on our anger. She gave scripture on this one, and I can't remember it. Maybe I'll hunt it up tomorrow.

The other cool thing I got out of it--No, wait, it's not cool. It's not homicide. *shaking head* One of the guys she had on the show talked about his experience counseling people on their marriage. He said that when they said "I don't have those feelings of love anymore," that it was a good thing. Because you're supposed to ACT in love, and the feelings will follow. I've always said that love is like gas. The feeling will eventually pass. But I've heard it said so many times, in so many ways, that love is a verb, and you shouldn't treat it like a mere emotion. Huh. So maybe I should start doing that in other areas of emotional upheaval in my life.

I learned a long time ago that the twitterpated feeling of being married and in love gets old rather quickly. But I love my husband more today than I did when I married him because the love we share now is not based on that. It's based on a lot of things-like commitment, respect, trust, holiness, acting in a way that demonstrates love, rather than some wacked out hormonal thing. Which is probably good, considering we all now know that my hormones are totally messed up. The thing is, I love my husband, even though I threaten to kill him regularly.

Which makes me realize that as emotional as I am, maybe I don't let them rule my life as much as I think. After all, if I did that, That Man would be dead, the world would be completely flattened, and I'd be sucking my thumb on the last remaining non glowing tropical island all by my little self. ICK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Which makes me realize that as emotional as I am, maybe I don't let them rule my life as much as I think. After all, if I did that, That Man would be dead, the world would be completely flattened, and I'd be sucking my thumb on the last remaining non glowing tropical island all by my little self. ICK."

ROFLOL You crack me up.

But in all seriousness, I love all your insights. Thanks for always being so honest and open. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post. Made me realize that I need to show my love instead of just telling people.

P.S. You've got a new convert. Todd Agnew is my new favorite!

Laniemay

Danica Favorite said...

Thanks Jana. :) If I do blow up the world, I'll let you come live on a neighboring island.

WAHOOO Laniemay!!