Dropdown menu

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Tuesday Tea Time: The Palm Court at the Plaza Hotel

Yes, darlings!! It is time!! To tell you all of the mah-velous time we had at the Plaza Hotel.

Left from bottom: Kate Hewitt, Caroline Godin, Winnie Griggs. Right from bottom: Laura Marie Altom, Margaret Daley, Camy Tang, Me.

Some of my wonderful, dearest friends (and some brand-new BFFs) planned this day because we love tea, and we love being fancy, and well, we also love being together. Seriously, there is no greater joy than being at a tea table with some of your very favorite people in the world. And it also helps to do it at the Plaza.



One of the first things we discovered, thanks to our uber-spotter, Laura Marie Altom, was that Kirstie Alley was having tea at a nearby table. We all agreed she looked great. Laura tweeted about it, and Kirstie tweeted back, so now we all can bask in our momentary brush with famousness. Actually, Kirstie should have been tweeting about her brush with famousness because we had so many famous authors at that table. It reminds me just how blessed I am. When I was a little girl, reading all those books, I never imagined I'd be lucky enough to meet one author, let alone have so many authors I call my friends. Maybe it's nerdy of me, but I still sometimes have to pinch myself. No offense to Kirstie, but I get more starstruck over meeting some of these amazing authors.



So... on to the tea... I decided to be brave and try new things, so I ordered The Classic, which was delicious and featured two delicacies I'd never tried before- Quail Egg Salad (it was okay, I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't do it again) and a sandwich with Sturgeon Caviar. I really liked the caviar. :) Actually, everything was delicious, though I would like to brag on myself a little and say that I like my homemade lemon curd better than theirs. The dessert was also great, and I was only sorry that I didn't have enough room for it all.


For their tea, I went with their Afternoon Tea. After all, you can't go to afternoon tea and not have the signature blend, right? And because it's so fancy, here's the description they gave: "Rich and moody off the nose, it opens with malty astringency and finishes with hints of oak cask and a dusting of delicate citrus." Um, I didn't get ALL that, but it was still good. Not good enough that I had to bring some home, mind you, but I'd drink it again.


Overall, it was a great experience. Definitely worth doing when you go to New York. One of the "must-experience" kind of things. Be sure to make a reservation, as I noticed when we were there, the hostess turned away people who didn't have one.  As for the price, well, there's our receipt to show you... yeah, it was expensive. BUT, honestly, compared to the prices we paid for other meals in New York, I didn't think it outrageously so, and certainly, it was worth it.

The only sad thing about this wonderful tea excursion is that it was the very last one of our New York trip. You know, business stuff and all that taking precedence. The good news is that RWA is back at the same place in 2015, so if I don't make it back before then, you'll know where to find me July 2015. Ouch. That's a long time to wait for another New York tea adventure.

No comments: