Dropdown menu

Monday, April 16, 2012

Tea Parties with Little Girls

Even a simple meal at a child's table can be special

I love tea. And I love that I've been able to share that love with my little girls. One of the things I've been more intentional about this year is taking the time for my girls and being intentional about doing things with them, even when I'm busy.

Yesterday, the princess and I spent a lot of time cleaning up the toy area so we could work on the Great Basement Painting Project this week. Once all of her toys were put away, she decided to pull out her kitchen stuff and play restaurant. I was busy cleaning other parts of the basement, and then she asked me for lunch. I made some suggestions but she made no move to get herself some food.

Then I thought, "wouldn't it be fun, since she's playing restaurant, to serve her lunch like a waitress?" So I went upstairs and made us lunch plates, including a pot of tea, for an impromptu tea party. I carried our food down, and we ate on her little table. It wasn't fancy, and I didn't make anything special, but just taking the time to arrange the food a little differently and call it a big deal turned it into a special meal.

We dined on egg salad sandwiches, Cheetos, orange slices, and drank tea. She declared it the best lunch she's ever had.

What other simple things have you been able to make special?



No comments: