Dropdown menu

Monday, January 17, 2011

The unquantifiable dream

My good friend, Kay Day, in one of her comments the other day reminded me of those dreams we can't quantify or set a date to. Sometimes, the dreams in our hearts are beyond our control.

For example, that ever-distant book contract. I've had so many "sure things" not sell and missed so many goals for when it would happen that I no longer have any expectation as to when it will happen. If you'd have told me when I started writing that I would still not have a contract on a full-length novel in 2011, I think you'd have needed to give me some mega motivation to even start.

But it's beyond my control. I have a fantastic agent, supportive friends, and despite the years of rejections, I continue to write.

However, there are things I can control. I can control whether or not I write. I can control how much I write. I can control what I do to improve my writing craft. I can control how often I submit.

And so, even though I can't say when I will get that elusive contract, I can say what I will do to get there.

Until then, I'm going to keep working, keep writing, keep praying (PLEASE GOD!!!), and do everything that is in my power to get there. Though seriously, I'm not sure I can take another ten years of this. Just sayin'.

What else can we do in the pursuit of a dream beyond our control?

4 comments:

Eva Maria Hamilton said...

Hi Danica,

I think you just wrote what all aspiring authors think. Sure fit with me.

And in consideration of the elusive dream... every time I write, whether the book sells or not, it is a piece of work created. If it doesn't sell, then it's a family heirloom. I know I'd love to read my ancestor's books if they'd written any. Hopefully, my great, great, grandkids will feel the same :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Danica,

Waiting can be sooo hard. I've tried to focus on the journey and finding enjoyment at each stage. As you said, there are so many aspects out of our control, though, that discouragement can set in.

I think you're wise to concentrate on those areas you can change. Good plan. That, coupled with prayer and the support of friends who understand, can make a difference.

Danica Favorite said...

Eva, exactly! Though I sure hope this writing thing turns into more than a family heirloom.

Thanks Keli!

Kay Day said...

I am more right brained than left so I see big pictures. Breaking things down into steps takes a lot of concentration for me.
I'm working on thinking about one of my dreams and the small steps I can take. Not necessarily to achieve the big dream, but to put little pieces of it into action right now.
I know... vague. But you know I'm a woman of mystery. :)