Dropdown menu

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pinterest Busting the Microwave Cleaner

I don't know about you, but I find the whole microwave cleaning thing more than daunting. I've bought the spatter covers (and then my kids don't use them), I've threatened bodily harm to my family if they don't cover things in the microwave, and my microwave still looks like this:



So there you have it... my dirty microwave. After I saw a pin on Pinterest telling me how to get it clean and shiny, I thought, "what have I got to lose?" Dirt, germs, and probably diseases I'd rather not know about.

The directions said to follow these steps:

1. Pour 1 cup of vinegar into a 2 cup measuring cup.

2. Add 1 cup of hot water.

3. Microwave for about ten minutes.

4. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, then wipe with a wet cloth.

 

I followed those instructions. There was still a lot of junk stuck inside the microwave. Something really icky was caked under the turntable, so I took it out and soaked it, then cleaned underneath. I had to really scrape to get the caked stuff off. Then I noticed that the top of the microwave was still kinda icky.

 



 

I grabbed my usual spray cleaner and sprayed and scrubbed, but it wouldn't come off.  After about 5 minutes, I went back to Old Faithful, aka my Magic Eraser, and scrubbed the rest off.

I then went back to the original instructions, took some rubbing alcohol, and shined it up. I thought the rubbing alcohol left it streaky, so I ended up having to go back and fix the streaks. Still, it did end up looking nice at the end.

Conclusion:

While this was not a quick fix and it didn't seem like it came as easily as the pin implied, I did think that it made it easier to clean the inside of my microwave. I did have to scrub, but it wasn't nearly as much as I've had to do in the past. I'd say this one is mostly confirmed. It definitely helps, but it's not the complete fix.



 

Have you tried this method of cleaning your microwave? Did it work for you?

No comments: