Dropdown menu

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Random thoughts while trying to write

Last week, I decided to change the opening of my latest book. Partially because I'm actually listening *gasp* to my agent and taking his advice on some things. Partially because el Camelito also agreed that I needed a new opening. Partially because after reading my synopsis, my crit partners hate my hero because he's too perfect. And mostly because I'm just not satisfied with this silly man.

Can I just be up front and say that change is hard?

I've been working on this for a while... I let it percolate in my head, and am now putting it on paper. One page into my hero's POV, here are my thoughts:

1. He sounds gay. Crap. I can't have a gay hero.
2. Why does he have such stupid reasons for not being married?
3. Crap. If I change this, then I have to change my synopsis and make him more conflicted than I want him to be.
4. Crap. If I don't change this, then he's going to be too perfect and everyone will keep hating him.
5. Wow, I say crap a lot.
6. Crap. He still sounds gay.
7. If I kill him now, no one will know the difference.
8. What is wrong with this stupid man?
9. I think this sparkly nail polish my 5yo made me wear is hindering my ability to write.
10. Maybe I should just go read.

We will not discuss how many cups of tea I've had to drink nor how many girl scout cookies I've eaten.

3 comments:

Megan DiMaria said...

I can't wait to hear about your new-and-improved-crapless hero. Hang in there.

I've been agonizing over one of my characters. On Friday I realized that all my problems will be solved if I smash her face with a shovel. Really. My story will be much better for this violence (which, BTW, happens off stage.).

Kay Day said...

umm, Megan? Is it me???

Danica, I think if you take Nancy's class at Glen Eyrie it will help you a lot.

I don't know why you struggle with making a man imperfect. Seems like a given.

Danica Favorite said...

Thanks Megan. I'd like to see my hero's face get smashed in with a shovel.

Kay, it is definitely a given that he's imperfect. Sadly, this is my first uber perfect hero. I tend to make them too flawed. Stupid boys. Why do I have to write books with boys in them anyway?