Dropdown menu

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vegan(ish)?

While at RWA, one of my friends was telling me about her decision to go mostly vegan. Which I found quite fascinating, because you tend to think of vegans as um, well, weirdos. Sorry to all you vegans. Anyway, my friend said that the idea came from a book she read, and I can't remember the name, but she said that the book claimed that if every family went vegan only for the meals they had at home, we would end world hunger. They could eat whatever they wanted eating out, but at home, they had to be vegan.

Now, if you know my family, you know that would never work. What am I saying? That would never work for me. I LIKE meat- sometimes.

But I can't stop thinking about this idea, because I am concerned about world hunger. And I readily admit that just changing my family's food habits isn't going to be enough to change the world. But it's something, right?

So now I'm thinking that maybe we'll do vegan one night a week. We can handle that, right?

But here's my issue: I hate tofu. It's completely a texture issue for me, and I don't care how many times I've tried it, I hate it. And my family doesn't like it, either. I'm also not fond of Indian food, which seems to be the majority of vegan recipes. I've been looking at different vegan recipes, and so far, I'm not finding anything my family will eat.

Should I just hang up the towel my great vegan idea? Or is there hope for a girl who wants to try it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
melissa said...

Ha! I have been testing vegan too, 4 days a week at this point. My blog is http://bijabody.com/blog, and I wrote about veganism in {4 days as a vegan}. We should trade links...

melissa said...

p.s. I don't like tofu either, plus I think it's way too processed. I use garbanzo beans and coconut milk as my main sources of protein during my four days on veganism weeks. Quinoa and garbanzo beans make a great meal.

Danica Favorite said...

Melissa, my kids hate quinoa. We've had it so many ways, because I think it's such a great food. But so far, no dice.

Your blog is great! I'm eager to poke around some more.

Kay Day said...

I'm curious about how it could end world hunger?

My husband frequently eats vegan. He doesn't do any soy. He eats beans and there is more protein in greens than we realize, he says.

I did that for Lent and it sucked. LOL. I could stand vegetarian better. I really missed my cheese!