Dropdown menu

Monday, July 23, 2012

Because I can!!

I'm at the airport waiting for my flight... I read my flight time wrong so I arranged to be here earlier than I'd originally planned. Which is fine by me. Better to be early than late. Since I got up so ridiculously early and ate breakfast early, I was starving by 10:35. In case you were wondering, breakfast cut off at the airport is 10:30. So I had to have lunch.

You know what the great thing about traveling without your kids is? I can eat whatever I want. So I had shrimp stir fry with steamed veggies (kudos to Panda Express for letting people have steamed veggies instead of rice). Here's the great part: I didn't have to share my shrimp with my kids, and I didn't have to eat the carrots.

I hate cooked carrots. I mean, I really hate them. If someone makes them for me, I'll eat them to be polite, and I put them in stews and with roasts because they give the juice a better flavor. But the carrots themselves? ICK! However, to be a good example to my kids, I always eat a few. Oddly enough, I love raw carrots, so go figure.

So today, in my joyous celebration of getting away, I did not eat the carrots in the stir fry. Is it weird that I feel incredibly joyful at not eating the carrots?

I think that sometimes we do stuff like eat the carrots because we know they're good for us, and everyone expects us to do it, but really, we hate carrots. Now, I'm a big believer in pushing through and doing something you don't want to anyway because it's the right thing to do. But every once and a while, it's also great to be able to take a step back and do what you want to do because you can!

So today, I proclaim it to be "don't eat your carrots if you don't want to" day! What's something that you do and don't want to do and can take a small break from?

No comments: