Dropdown menu

Friday, September 14, 2012

Making the time

[caption id="attachment_4055" align="alignleft" width="150"] The books and knitting I'm sacrificing[/caption]

Can I make a confession?

A lot of people praise me for how organized I am and how I've got it all together, and how I get so much done. Right now, I am SO not living up to that title. In fact, I feel like I am juggling a million glass balls and at any moment, they're going to crash down into a million little pieces that will get stuck in my bare feet, leaving me bleeding all over a carpet I still need to clean.

I keep saying, "when X happens, I'll do Y." And you know what? X happens, and something else gets in the way of my doing Y. I was talking to a friend who used to be one of my writing buds. We used to challenge each other and push each other on a daily basis. She hasn't been writing much because life got crazy. She'd say things like, "when I get past X, I'll start writing again." Well, X finished but then another situation came up, and it's been a couple of years. I told her recently, "You've got to just say, I don't care that X is happening. I'm going to carve out this time and I will write. This is my writing time, and I'm going to stop letting stuff interfere."

Then I realized something last night. I do the same thing. I missed a writing goal. It partially was because I was waiting on someone else. But then I slacked off on doing my part. Because life was getting in the way. First it was because I still needed to do stuff with my new computer (and yes, still working on it!), then it was because my boss was on vacation, and I had a lot more to keep up on. There was also my husband working weird hours, leaving me to do more of his stuff. Let's not forget the kids' sports and activities. I was trying to keep up with it all, proud of myself on the days when I had it together, worked out, made dinner, did my Bible study, got my work done, and found time to write.

But most days I've been falling into bed exhausted because I have too much to do in too few hours. And left a lot on my plate undone. I've done a lot of kicking myself for not accomplishing everything I'd set out to do.

I was thinking about this last night as I finished a great chat for work. It was fun, and I loved it. I was so tired after that all I wanted to do was curl up with one of the books I've been wanting to read for a while. But then I got an email from someone who just sold her book and wanted me to know so I could make the announcement. Of course I was happy for her, but a tiny voice in the back of my head reminded me that I'd never get that announcement for myself if I didn't do the work. So instead of picking up the book and treating myself, I pulled out the manuscript and got to work. A few times, I thought about going to bed, but then I started thinking about all the people I keep telling to make the time.

So I made the time.

I'm not saying that what I wrote was good (but I hope it was!), but I did get more done than I thought I would. Moving forward, I'm going to be more intentional about making sure I find the time to write.

How do you find time for the important things that sometimes slip away?

 

No comments: