Dropdown menu

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Being a Grumplestiltskin

calgon take me awayWhen my kids are cranky, I often refer to them as "Grumplestiltskin." Well, today it's my turn. Actually, it's been my turn for a while now. I've been quiet about my grumpies because I've felt like I've been unusually grumpier than usual. And as I tell my kids, "who wants to hear from a Grumplestiltskin?"

Grumpy number one: People who ask questions prefaced by, "I didn't read the directions, but here's my question."

I'm seriously ready to go postal on this one. I don't understand why people would ask a question before reading the directions. So far, in all but one case, the answer is specifically found in the directions. That's why we have directions!

Grumpy number two: The media in general

I'll be honest, if I didn't have to be online for  my job, I think I'd stay off the Internet for um, forever. Well, maybe not forever, since I pay a lot of my bills online. And I would miss seeing what's up with my friends on Facebook and Twitter. I wish I could become a computer genius so I could invent an algorithm that would keep all political and bad news stories off my feeds, even if they come from friends. I don't want to hear about it.

Grumpy number three: My house

Okay, I love my house, and I learn to love it more every day. But right now, it's really dirty and messy, and my family does not care. So if I want it clean I have to do it all myself or I have to get mean. I'm tired of doing it all and I'm tired of being mean. So I guess that's really what I'm grumpy about.

Grumpy number four: Exercise

I've been working really hard to get in shape. I'm doing my workouts, eating (mostly) right, and I am still not losing weight. I also feel worse, not better. Since I started working out more, I'm constantly exhausted. And I'm really discouraged about that. The upside is that I talked to my nutritionist, and we think I've got an undiagnosed low thyroid. The doc says mine is normal, but I have every other symptom of low thyroid, so I'm going to start some supplements and see how that does.

Grumpy number five: Not really having a reason to be grumpy

Here's the thing I am most fully aware of. I have a pretty good life, and a million things to be happy about. I am seriously blessed, and for the most part, I am very blessed. So why am I still grumpy? That's the million dollar question, and the more I think about it, the grumpier I get.

Am I just a Grumplestiltskin? Or is there hope that I can be transformed back into my true princess self?

What do you do when you're feeling unreasonably grumpy?

No comments: