Dropdown menu

Friday, March 25, 2011

Fairly Legal struggles

I watched the season finale of Fairly Legal tonight. And oddly, I'm feeling really upset about it.

I really related to the character of Kate. She's got a million things going on- personally, professionally, and emotionally, and she's trying desperately to juggle all these balls. In some ways, she manages to do so beautifully, and yet in others, she fails so completely.

In tonight's episode, on some levels professionally, she succeeded, and yet, in everything else, it was so absolutely devastating. I hated that the season finale ended with her life so in shambles. I hope that next season, we get some hope, she picks up the pieces, and triumphs.

This episode cemented my dislike of Lauren. I should do a disclaimer here and say that of all the Laurens I know, I only like one of them. She is a complete sweetheart, and I'm convinced her real first name is something like Hortense, so she goes by her middle name. Every other Lauren I know is as selfish and nasty as the Lauren in the show. Which probably has me a little more prejudiced against this Lauren. I'm glad she finally showed her true feelings, but you know, there was something in her cruelty that just got to me. I guess I kept hoping that she'd somehow turn around and be nice...

Maybe that's why it's so upsetting... don't we all know Laurens? Women who are selfish, conniving witches who will stop at nothing in their quest for power. Men, too, for that matter. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that these people will change, but they don't, do they?

I think that's why I'm thinking so hard on this that I can't sleep. I think about the people in my life who are who they are, and they're never going to be as good as I want them to be. Not that any of us are truly good, but I think we can agree that some are less so than others.

So tonight, I keep thinking about what we do with people like Lauren. I know we're supposed to love them anyway, but I don't know how. I don't know how to accept the deeper levels of selfishness. Sure, we all have it to some level- we're human. But there comes a point where we have to draw a line and say enough is enough. Or do we?

I don't have any answers. Fortunately, television tends to resolve these questions much more quickly. Maybe when next season rolls around, Lauren will get hit by a semi, and we'll get to see Kate blossom. I know, wishful thinking, and the real growth will happen as Kate maneuvers (and potentially works out) her relationship with Lauren. I'll be watching. And rooting for Kate.

No comments: