Dropdown menu

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pinterest Busting the Baking Soda Stove Cleaner

I saw this one a while ago. And if any of you have glass top stoves, you know the deception of thinking that because it doesn't have all those nooks and crannies like your old stove, it'll be sooo much easier to clean. Then your kids make Ramen a few times, and you're looking at these freakish rings that you just can't get off.

Or maybe that's just at my house.

Trust me when I say that I have tried just about everything to get my stove clean. Usually it takes a magic eraser and lots of elbow grease, but we have been known to scrape it off with hubby's Dremel.

So when I saw this trick, I thought I'd try it, but I wasn't terribly hopeful.

Here's what you do:

1. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on to the stovetop.

2. Take a rag (I used a hand towel) and soak it in hot, soapy water. (The site I took it from soaked in a bowl, but why take out a bowl when you have a perfectly good sink?)

3. Wring out about half of the water and lay the rag across the stovetop.

4. Leave it on for about 15 minutes.

5. Using the rag and the paste made from the baking soda, scrub the stovetop.

And... you should have a clean stovetop.

The site I used said she did it twice. I've done it up to three times, and it never comes out perfectly clean, BUT, it is a whole lot better than anything else I've tried. The only thing that has gotten mine any cleaner is when I whine a super lot and hubby takes out his Dremel, scrapes off the mess, and it's dirty the next day. So this is much cheaper, easier, and headache free.

Not perfect, but hey, who needs perfect? I was very happy with the results. In fact, this is now my go-to stove cleaning method. I sprinkle the baking soda, throw on the towel, do my other kitchen cleanup stuff, and then I have a clean stove. Easy-Peasy. Looks better than when I did the other stuff and is less work.

No comments: