Dropdown menu

Monday, June 02, 2008

Communication Frustration

Communication has not been working for me. I'm a writer. I teach. I've been trained in public speaking. I get paid to chat with folks on the web. This should all translate to: Danica knows how to communicate, right?

Apparently not. Either that, or I can't seem to run into the folks who do.

Issue #1: Not telling me what you want. Especially if I give you the opportunity to do so. When I say, "what do you want," and you either say nothing or don't respond, why am I the bad guy for not giving you what you want? And yet, I've had several people be absolutely nasty to me over the past few days for that exact thing. I can't read minds, so why is it MY problem that you have a problem?

Issue #2: Going back on what you previously told me. This is really getting to be a hot button with me. If you say, "do this," and I do, don't be mad at me later for doing it. I have several new orifices after being torn into for doing exactly what I was told to do.

Issue #3: Not saying what you mean. Years ago, a Christian comedian did a routine about how when a person said, "bless his/her heart," they were really saying "you big idiot." That drives me nuts. If you mean the person is an idiot, then just say so. I'll respect you a lot more.

So there it is... my frustration with communication as of late. Please feel free to share your own frustrations. And do try, when communicating with me, to be clear and avoid making the mistakes above. It'll save all of us a big headache.

5 comments:

Camy Tang said...

I am completely like you. I take people very literally most of the time and expect they take me literally too.
Camy

Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly with you. I loathe it when people do everything you just said and can totally commisserate with you on this one.

Dr. J said...

My Favorite quote is "say what you mean and mean what you say!" I use it all the time and in many ways it has become my mantra!

I am a communication scholar and I too have my moments of complete frustration. It is normal!

Hang in there and if you ever need to chat feel free to e-mail me!

P.S. I love your blog!!!

Danica Favorite said...

Camy, this is why you and I are such good friends. :)

Rae, yep.

Puck, glad to have you here!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! Sorry, I couldn't resist :)