Dropdown menu

Friday, January 11, 2013

Pinterest Busters: The Meal!

I forgot to post a Pinterest Buster on my Pinterest Busting day. Which is mostly because I forgot what day I said I'd do it, so there ya go. But hey, I'm doing it today, and I'll get back on a regular schedule next week. :) Today is a good day for Pinterest Busting because my brain needs a break from the thinking it did yesterday.

Today's Pinterest Busting exercise is all about the meals! I've been using the recipes I've saved on Pinterest as my new handy-dandy meal planning tool. I've been really uninspired lately, cooking-wise, so looking at recipes I've pinned has been helpful in that department.

Last night, I'd planned one thing for dinner, but then Cowgirl had plans with a friend who's moving, and hubby had to work, so it was just me and the Princess. (That kind of sounds like a book title- Me and the Princess.) So I went to my handy dandy food board to see what I could whip up.

The menu:

Appetizer: Hot & Skinny Spinach Dip

Main Course: Ramen Noodle Upgrade

Snack: Roasted Chickpeas

 

Hot and Skinny Spinach Dip

I'd been wanting to make the Hot & Skinny Spinach Dip for a while now, so I was excited to make this. I followed the directions almost exactly. When I say almost exactly, I mean that instead of plain Greek yogurt, I used honey vanilla because it was all I had, and the point was to NOT go to the store. I do not advise doing this. When we ate it, at times, I could taste a weird sweet flavor (the honey vanilla) that just wasn't right. Still, it was really yummy, and I will make this again!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ramen Noodle Upgrade

I wanted to try this recipe because my kids LOVE Ramen noodles, but I want them to have something a little more substantial. This seemed like a nice compromise. I changed this recipe slightly because I'm trying to eat more protein, and added a chopped up grilled chicken breast when I added in the other mix-ins. We also omitted the Siracha, because my kiddo doesn't do spicy.

This recipe was pretty much a bust. Princess took one bite of it and said, "this has a peanut flavor." I said, "That's because it has peanut butter in it, isn't it yummy?" Her response, "No. It's gross. Can I have some ice cream?" She did get ice cream, but only after she finished the nasty stuff. We had to add extra soy sauce to make it palatable, and I think I would have tossed it and made something else had it not been for the chicken. The chicken part was yummy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roasted Chickpeas

I've been in love with this idea for a while now. I like crunchy snacks. I need to eat more healthy snacks. A marriage made in heaven, right? I made the garlic Parmesan version, but I tasted a chickpea fresh out of the oven before seasonings, and well, it was not yummy. I almost spit it out. But I added the seasonings, and tried it that way. Still not yummy, but better than plain. Princess did spit hers out, and asked for ice cream. This time, since I felt bad for her having also had to eat the nasty ramen, I gave her ice cream. I left them in a bowl on the counter, and because I can't not snack on something if it's there, even those those were nasty little things, I would take a few as I passed. The taste improves with time. I would not say that they're my favorite snack, and I probably won't eat them often, but I still might give them another try, and experiment with the flavors. The crunch is really satisfying, so if I can just find a good flavor, we might have a winner.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bonus! One of my yummy creations! Healthier Hot Chocolate

Since I'm working hard at being healthier, I wanted to try a healthier version of hot chocolate. When I was at the health food store during one of their Christmas sample events, one of the ladies had a machine that she used to make a version of this. Only I forgot everything she used. So here is my best approximation.

1 cup chocolate almond milk
cinnamon to taste

Mix almond milk and cinnamon in a cup. Microwave 1 minute, 30 seconds. Stir and enjoy!

I did some nutrition checking, and the powdered hot chocolate mix has the same amount of calories as the almond milk. So you're not getting a difference calorie-wise, but at least you're not getting all the junk. Also, I've done this with a different brand of almond milk (but can't remember the name), and I liked the flavor better, but this was still yummy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What fun Pinterest experiments have you done lately?

 

No comments: