Dropdown menu

Thursday, November 26, 2009

All I want for Christmas...

Tonight hubby and I had "the talk." You know, the "what do you want for Christmas so I don't mess up and get you the wrong thing" talk. And to be honest, I've had a hard time coming up with anything.

World peace? hahahaha
My children to obey me? not before Castro admits communism was a big mistake
A bigger kitchen? hmmm... don't have an extra $50K or so hidden anywhere, do we?
My own bathtub? see above
A book contract? now if that could magically appear under my tree...

The truth is, I have everything I need. And in terms of what I want, well, I don't think I want very much. A Wii fit would be nice, and we're getting it. I'd like a new mixing bowl set, but as I explained to my hubby, I want one that's just like the set I have that broke. But that's about it. I'm pretty content with my life as it is right now. I have all the stuff I want, and a lot that I don't want. Or even need. So what more can I get?

I don't want gifts that people give me just to give me a gift. I have enough. I'm starting to get frustrated with trying to tell people what I want when I don't really want anything. They think I'm being difficult. Yet I'm just trying to be honest. I'm happy with what I have. And the things I don't have that I think I might like are either too expensive or I simply don't want them badly enough to justify getting. I don't even know if that makes sense.

So what I want for Christmas this year, what I really want, is a little peace. A little freedom. To not be tied down by possessions and wants, but to just enjoy the season. What I truly want is for my family to spend a day, in a junk-free house, playing our Wii together. Laughing, drinking some tea, and maybe, if I'm finally done with this crazy diet, eating a big fat chili dog from Sonic.

What do you want for Christmas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you Sweetie. It's the same with me, people, mostly my kids, ask me what I want for Christmas, Birthday, etc... and there really isn't much. Of course when the husband asks, I can tell him that a little extra clothing money would be nice. But that's different; it doesn't need to be a holiday for that.

You guys have an amazing, relaxing, peaceful day of thanks-giving.

Tess

Kay Day said...

I find myself wanting less and less, too.
I think I'm going to put a few books on my list and that's about it. I like to give Brent and the kids some choices so I don't end up with stuffed animals. :)