Dropdown menu

Monday, May 21, 2012

My New Summer Office




My daughter using power tools
You might remember my cautionary tale about giving me a box of pictures. Well, this edition is called "If you buy Danica new patio furniture...

Hubby's friend is downsizing his home. Friend asked hubby if he wanted to buy the patio furniture. Hubby had me look at it, and given that it's a thousand times nicer than what we had, I said yes.

The only problem is, our patio is too small for the set. The solution: Build me a bigger patio, of course! And, while we were at the friend's house, I noticed that his covered porch was open to the rafters, something I've been wanting a long time because the squirrels have been building nests between the ceiling and the rafters. I'd been trying to get hubby to make that change for me, but until I pointed out at the friend's house that I wanted my patio roof like his, he didn't get it. Once he understood, he agreed to tear down the ceiling.
In the back is the ceiling still needing to come down


Except... several owners before us decided to "improve" the roof, but rather than tear down and re-build, they built over. So, when hubby tore down the ceiling, we found two OTHER roofs and the remnants of a second-floor balcony. For whatever reason, we can never take on the easy projects.


The deck (so far) and some of my new furniture
So here we are... I have 1/4 the deck, just big enough for a table and a couple of chairs. Hubby and the cowgirl spent Sunday working on it. I spent Sunday evening sitting on my partial deck, listening to birds and thinking that I could get used to this place. Kiddo and I had breakfast out here this morning, and after having a very pleasant lunch on my 1/4 deck, I decided that I'm going to be spending a lot of time out here. My new chairs are soo comfy, and when I pretend that my back yard is not full of the junk that will be on my deck, I think this just might be my own personal heaven on earth.

Welcome to my summer office (in progress!).

If you pretend all the patio junk isn't on the lawn, it's very pretty!

8 comments:

Robbie Iobst said...

Wow!!! Congrats! When you're finished, if you all could come to my home and build something that would be great! :0)

Danica Favorite said...

Hahahaha.... We still have too many projects here. But you can come over anytime and sit on my deck with me.

Rachelle M said...

wow--two other roofs and a second floor balcony? I think I know why the squirrels liked it so much! Looks like it's going to be an awesome patio :)

Camy Tang said...

It looks totally awesome!!!!

Danica Favorite said...

Rachelle, I'm really excited for it! And to have given the squirrels an eviction notice. Oh, wait. They weren't given notice. ;)

Camy, you, too, can have a glorious outdoor writing paradise.

Elizabeth Hoffnung said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tisa See said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sierra said...

Don’t worry, Danica, you’ll get there! But seeing as you posted this last May, I’m sure you’re done with the entire project. I think your hubby did a good decision in tearing it down. Building over an old roof may cause more damage, and future damages will be hard to point out.

Sierra Nordgren