Dropdown menu

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Confessing my scary motivations

I'm going to make a confession. I already confessed on my friend Jenny's blog, so I might as well let everyone who thinks I'm so perfect know it as well. By the way, if you haven't read Jenny B. Jones, you need to. She's fantastic. Her blog is pretty funny too, so read her books, read her blog. You'll like her. I do.

Anyway, my confession...

You know that vacay I went on that I promised to post about and haven't yet? Getting to it, really, I am. Let's just get through the next few days. It's tax season. Well, I unpacked on Sunday or Monday. One of those two. Yes, it took me that long. And while I'm at it, my Christmas tree is still up. I had two ladies over for critique today, and I did not care what they thought of the crazy lady whose tree is still up. You know what? I have other things to do with my time. Sorry... little bit of a tangent.

I think my suitcase would have stayed packed indefinitely except for two reasons. One: small child was fighting me on putting her clean clothes away, so I offered her a race. If she could put away all her clothes before I got my clothes put away and suitcases unpacked, she could have some girl scout cookies. Despite my herculean task, she still lost. But reason number two is this: The girls and I were out of clean underwear.

Let's just be clear here. In our house, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done unless I turn into a mean nasty screaming harpy, and I'm really trying out the whole kinder, gentler Danica. Which means I'm stuck doing it all. And so, because I'm right off the busiest part of tax season, the laundry was piled everywhere. Some clean, some dirty, some I don't know what. However, because for whatever reason, hubby will fold all laundry but the underwear, and somehow the underwear got put somewhere weird, the girls and I were out of underwear.

I should also mention that I have intentionally purchased a month's worth of underwear for every member of our family to avoid such emergencies. But do the math. We left on our vacation nearly a month ago. I could not find our clean underwear. I knew I had a stash in our suitcases (I always pack more underwear than we need... just in case). However, that meant unpacking said suitcases. So I did.

Yes, this is what motivates me. The need for clean underwear. Otherwise, my suitcases would still be packed, full of laundry that I now have to wash or put away, depending on the suitcase (hey, I pack good... one suitcase for clean, one for dirty!). I have no idea what's going to motivate me to take down the tree... maybe there's a tree taking down fairy out there somewhere.

Dunno, but I am considering going out and buying the family more underwear. Obviously, a month's supply is not enough.

3 comments:

Kay Day said...

yes, it's tax season. That's my excuse, too.
My tree is undecorated - did it the 13th - but it's still up.
And the underwear thing? Well I guess it's always tax season at my house.

Gina Conroy said...

My suitcase is now empty after a week, but it remains in our bedroom. Why can't it just jump up on that high shelf by itself?

Jenny B. Jones said...

You're killing me with the compliments! It's too much! I'm not worthy.. but thanks. ; )

I just got back from a trip, and not only am I not unpacked, but I didn't even bring the suitcase into the house. If I don't see it, then it doesn't exist. It took me FOREVER to pack the thing, so I don't want to be disrespectful and rush the UNpacking.