Dropdown menu

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Plucking the Chicken of Fear Part 2

This must be the season of conquering fear. Last week, God asked me to confront one of my writing fears. This week, we (read He) decided to confront another fear.

Rewind to my whining about needing to lose weight and exercise more. My friend, the fabulous Kay Day, suggested at one point that we take a Nia class together.

This week, I saw a flyer for a FREE introductory Nia class at the local rec center as a teaser to join the session starting next week. Unfortunately, this class didn't work for Kay.

The real me does not like being around strangers. I do not like to exercise. And I REALLY do not like to exercise in front of other people. Without a friend there to hold my hand, no way was I going to some exercise class.

Then I heard the refrain of "Bwaaaaaaak."

Today, I went to the class. I spent the entire hour of this class feeling awkward, uncomfortable, and wondering why I skipped Panera for this. Then the thought hit me...

Why do I think that changing something as important as my fitness level is going to be easy? If it was going to be easy, I'd already be doing it. I thought about all the reasons why I wanted to get into shape.

I debated about registering for the class. I tried my no money excuse. Even tried the "it's my Panera time" excuse. But let's be honest here. I didn't want to endure another six weeks of being uncomfortable.

It wasn't awful, and as far as exercise goes, it's actually kinda fun. Still not my thing, still a place I will feel stretched about as far as I can be stretched. But I realized, as our instructor told us to purposely put ourselves in a place where we were off balance so that we could learn to develop balance, that's exactly what God is asking of me.

So I registered for the class. If I want to grow, I've got to be willing to pluck the chicken of fear and go to places where I know I'll be uncomfortable.

What about you? Is God challenging you to confront a fear or visit a place of discomfort?

6 comments:

tonya said...

I hate to exercise in front of people too. So I get your fear. But as you become more fit or loose weight, that becomes more important than what others think of you. Being a heavy set woman, I find that going to the gym early in the day helps me. The crowds aren't so bad.

I hope this class works out for you!

smithsk said...

I face that naughty chicken of fear everywhere! I've been walking with my husband, but yes got to do more. Eat less, exercise more. Yada, yada, yada.

Danica Favorite said...

Thanks Tonya. You bring up a good point. For me, it's not about trying to be some super hot chick, but just getting in better shape and losing the weight the doctor wants me to lose.

Susan, it's a tough battle. Good luck!

Gina Conroy said...

I've been exercising consistently for years without losing weight, so I knew I had to step it up a notch. And I am by going to the gym twice a week to take step/pump classes. I like working out with others. It makes me push harder and I just don't look in the mirror.

One of my biggest motivators is seeing a friend who was heavy all the time I've known her get slim and trim and littler than me!

That motivated me and I embrace the soreness now. Still have to get my eating totally under control, but for me it's about dropping the weight AND becoming a super hot chick. If I don't go for it now, it won't never happen! ;)

Robbie Iobst said...

Danica, I love your Plucking the Chicken series. Write more on this, okay? Fear is SO universal. Great posts! I'm in that "I really need to start exercising again" mode. Reading your courage inspired me to get started.

Kay Day said...

I'm so proud of you!
I wish I could go, too. It is much more fun with a friend, but I think this is a special time God wants to spend with you.