Dropdown menu

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Another risk payoff

I'm not really a risk-taker, which seems funny since so many of my blog posts lately have been about the risks that have paid off. I didn't intend for this year to be about risk-taking, but I'm hoping that my adventures in the garden will translate into a success in other areas of my life.



One of my gardening experiments was growing beets. I am one of those weirdos who actually likes beets. Until last Christmas, I'd only ever eaten beets out of a can. But for Christmas dinner, my FIL made some really yummy beets and that got me thinking about growing some. So I grew beets.

The only trouble with my beet growing plan was that I had never grown beets before, AND I had never cooked fresh beets before. Beets at my house involves opening a can. Ignoring those facts, I planted beets.

Which led to confusion about when to harvest.



When I finally decided to harvest, that meant finding an online recipe to cook beets. All of those recipes involved orange juice, and for some reason, that sounded gross, so I made up my own recipe using theirs as a guideline.

Danica's beet recipe:

Beets, peeled
Carrots
Onion
Garlic
Thyme
Sea Salt
Olive Oil

Mix the ingredients in a baking dish, bake at 450 for 45 minutes.



I didn't measure amounts, so use whatever you think is best. For the seasonings, I just lightly sprinkled over the dish, and it worked well. Most of the recipes I came across used thyme as a seasoning, so I tried it. I've never used much thyme, so I had no idea if it would be good or not, but it ended up being really good in this combo. The carrots also came from my garden, and they added a nice variety to the dish. We grew the rainbow carrots, so they ranged from white to orange to red, and I think the colors really made it nice. I generally hate cooked carrots, but I really liked these.



The verdict:
I LOVED this dish!!! I'm telling you, eating it was like having a spiritual moment with food. I was a little nervous because I had a friend for dinner, and I was a little nervous about experimenting on her, but she liked it as well. (Or was just being polite) My kids hated it, but they hate beets, so their opinion doesn't count. :)

Do you experiment with food? Have you had anything turn out surprisingly well?

 

 

 

No comments: