Dropdown menu

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pinterest Busting the Mattress Cleaner

I've been working on my Pinterest projects, more importantly, seeing which ones work. Last week, I tackled my microwave. This week's project, in honor of being husband-free (he's on a trip), I decided to tackle cleaning my mattress.

Now you have to understand, I'm married to a stinky man. Well, I think all men stink, but my man does physical work for a living, so he comes home stinky. Plus, I let my dog sleep on the bed. Which means I have a stinky bed. I really hate having a stinky bed. So when I saw this pin to clean your mattress, I just had to try it.

Following the directions, I measured out a cup of baking soda (I put it in a plastic container since I didn't have a mason jar) and added 4 drops of lavender essential oil. I put on the lid, shook it up really good, and got to work. I tried sprinkling it with a kitchen strainer, but my holes were too big and I don't think it sprinkled very well. So I had to really watch how it sprinkled because otherwise, I got clumps of the cleaner. I noticed that a fast motion was better than slow.

Then, I let it sit while we went out to dinner and take hubby to the airport. When we came home, I went to vacuum it and realized I had a small problem. Someone lost the upholstery attachment for my vacuum. That happens a lot in my house. We have these ghosts- I don't know, someone, and no one- and they have a tendency to lose things. I had to vacuum it with my regular hose attachment and it was a real pain. So... before you start this project, make sure that you didn't have a mysterious ghost take your upholstery attachment.

When I finished, my mattress smelled great. I loved crawling in bed to clean sheets and clean mattress. The lavender smell was light and soothing. I am really sensitive to strong scents, and I didn't think it was overpowering.

I can't speak to the claim of getting rid of dust mites, but I'll take it. I'd like to think those nasty things are gone. :) One thing I will mention is that this does not take the stains out of your mattress... so if you're looking for it to take out the stains, you'll have to find another solution.

All in all, I'm really happy with the results. I'm calling it confirmed! Of course, hubby hasn't slept in the bed yet, so he might not agree, but I'm not sure I want to let him get my bed all stinky again. Hmmm... I wonder if Pinterest has any stinky husband eliminators?

No comments: