Dropdown menu

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Benefits of indulgences

Every two weeks, I get a massage. I've had people tell me that it's an extravagant indulgence and they can't believe that I'd take the time and money to do it so often. I've gotten to the point where I think that it's probably one of the best things I do for myself.

As a writer, I spend a lot of time on the computer. Add in a job that has me on my laptop for several hours a day, and I have a lot of physical issues as a result. I have back pain, neck pain, hip pain, and all sorts of other aches and pains. Regular massage eases a lot of the discomfort I feel. I've tried just about everything else, and massage has been the most effective.

But here's something else to consider- I (and a good portion of the rest of the world) tend to put taking care of myself last. There's laundry and dishes and kid activities and work responsibilities and on and on and on. So when I finally think that I might have a little time to myself, I'm exhausted, and invariably something else comes up. But having a standing massage appointment gives me the opportunity to say yes to myself. Since the appointment is already made, it's a lot harder to let something else get in the way. I can't just push it off until later- unless I want to pay a cancellation fee.

What I've realized with having a regular massage is that I am more relaxed, in less pain, and I feel good about taking care of myself. I also have something to look forward to. I find that when I'm on my regular massage schedule, I'm less grouchy and more at peace.

Do you take the time to indulge in something just for you? What gives you an escape?

 

No comments: