Dropdown menu

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Day Nine

2014-12-09 23.17.15The beauty of having busy kids and going to and from their activities is that while you're sitting and waiting for the activity to end, you have time to work on your art journal. :) Or at least that's my story.

So... I've mentioned before that I'm not that great at art, and that's okay. I kind of feel bad for drawing this person's face because it looks nothing like her, so if she reads this, I promise I didn't make her funny looking on purpose. My bad drawing, friends, is exactly why anyone can and should art journal. You've seen my stick figures, and now my weird face. But you know, something beautiful happens when you make your bad art and let it be what it is. As I drew her eyes, I thought, "ugh, these are too big, and one is kind of bulgy." But it got me remembering what her eyes really look like, and while the lopsided lips I drew are nothing like her warm smiles, I pictured her laughing (in a good way) as I tried to make my art. Concentrating on the details makes you think deeper.

Even though my end result is nothing like the image in my mind, the thought behind it firmed up my mental image of a dear friend.


Sometimes we spend so much time rushing through life that we miss certain details about people we love. Or about people in general. I did a weird online study trying to determine the difference between perceptions of black people and white people, and for whatever reason, I was really drawn to the details of their noses. Which sounds weird, and it probably is, except I kind of have a weird nose, so maybe noses interest me. But as I thought about that experience and my art journal, I realized that in paying attention, we reveal something deeper inside ourselves.

Art journaling gives us permission to see.


What do you need to see in your life? Who do you need to see in your life? I thought about the people in my life who are there, and I wonder how well I see them.

 

Today's December Thanksgiving art journal challenge is a loving influence in your life.


I chose my friend Camy because she's been a wonderful loving influence, and I don't have the time or room to share all that her friendship has meant to me.

Here's my entry for today:
"I am so grateful for the loving influence in my life of my friend Camy. She has been a good friend to me and her influence has helped me grow and heal old wounds. It's been good to have such a wonderful example of friendship in my life. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

 

Who has been a loving influence in your life?


I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format












No comments: