Dropdown menu

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Day 17: Water

2014-12-17 21.38.39It's a good thing I like these colors, because as you saw, I used them in the previous day's challenge as well. One of the things I've learned with my busy kids, is that I still have to carve time out for myself, to do things I love. If that means working on my art journal while waiting for them at their activities, then that's what I do. I have pictures last year of me at play practice, working on revisions for a book. I sat in the corner revising while the kids were all on stage practicing. Sometimes I'd take a break and watch my kids, and when they weren't doing anything, I got a lot of work done. By the end of the play, I'd revised a book, and I'm pretty sure I knew everyone in the play's lines as well as they did. :)

All that kid watching makes a mom thirsty, which is why it's fun that the topic today is water. Sometimes, sitting in a gym or auditorium with bold signs clearly saying, "no food or drink," it's annoying to have to get up, go outside, get a drink, then come back in. And yet... I think about all the people who are walking miles to get dirty water because it's all they have. So it's good to be reminded of just how fortunate we all are. We're given so much and we take it for granted. That's why I don't mind rushing from kid activity to kid activity. I get to be there for my kids, when a lot of parents out there can't. I get to walk outside and get a drink of water, when a lot of people in the world can't.

Being grateful for the little things makes me remember just how very fortunate I am to be able to take them for granted.


Because we do take a lot of things for granted. Water is just one of them, and even though we're aware that others aren't as lucky, we don't always take the time to say thank you. I love having the opportunity to recognize that and to really take the time to be thankful.

Today's art journal topic is water.


My art journal entry reads:
"I am so thankful for water. Water is another thing we take for granted, and yet we're so lucky to have good, clean water at our disposal. I'm thirsty right now and grateful that I can go have some. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

How can you be thankful for water today?


I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format












No comments: