Dropdown menu

Sunday, December 21, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Challenge Day 21

2014-12-21 23.17.56The good thing about knowing what art journal challenge is coming up is that sometimes you can plan ahead what you're going to do. Which is why, if you haven't signed up for my newsletter to get the PDF, you should! The bad thing about planning ahead what you're going to do is that stuff happens, like your kid gets sick, and you go into ninja decontamination mode. I might admit to taking a few more naps than usual because it's so exhausting, because I refuse to admit that anyone else in this house is getting sick. My body is working in perfect harmony and all of my cells are doing exactly what a healthy body needs them to do. Fortunately, I made homemade chicken noodle soup today, and it was really tasty, so I'm sure everyone will be feeling better soon.

But that leaves me with the conundrum of what to do about today's art journal challenge.

Today's art journal challenge is somewhere you've gone in the past week.


On Friday, I helped chaperone Cowgirl's school trip to the museum. I had planned on printing out a gorgeous picture I'd taken and gluing it in my art journal. But with everything going on around here this weekend, it didn't happen. So, I drew a scene from the insanity known as taking a bunch of teenagers to the museum. In case you didn't know, teenagers are just like toddlers, only larger and with hormones. Plus, I think toddlers might listen better. I've taken several of the kids' classes to the museum over the years, and I'm pretty sure this trip is a new record of the number of times I had to say, "please don't touch that," to the kids.

I also think we went through the entire museum in record time, leaving us with about 30 minutes at the end of kids whining, "but we already saw that," and "my legs are tired, can't we just sit?" I found a lovely seating area that overlooked the lake and downtown, and my little group of miscreants happily sat on the chairs and started playing on their phones. I sat with Cowgirl, and while we both expressed regret over not getting to enjoy the museum, we certainly enjoyed the view.

Taking her class to the museum reminded me of how grateful I am to have her as my daughter. Not only is she a thousand, maybe even a million, times more well-behaved, but I genuinely like being with her. We always have great conversations, and she has a lot of interesting things to say. Going to the museum with her is usually a lot of fun. And even though we set a new museum speed record with her class, we still had a lot of fun.

Here is my art journal entry:
"I am so thankful that I went to the museum with Cowgirl and her class. Even though the kids were bratty, it was such a sweet time with my girl, and I'm so glad I got to spend the day with her. I love being with my girl. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Where did you go this week that you're thankful for?


I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format












No comments: