Dropdown menu

Friday, December 19, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Challenge Day 19

2014-12-19 22.59.21Today's art journal is an awesome example of what I like to call, "it looked really cool in my head." What you see before you, not so much. And that's okay. I think sometimes our brains have these really cool ideas that the rest of our bodies, in my case, my hands, are not ready for yet. I did that the other day. Princess was showing me some of her gymnastics moves, and one reminded me of a yoga pose I used to know how to do. I tried it, and ended up looking like a total fool flopping over the living room. And of course, as soon as Daddy got home, she had to tell him all about Mommy's crazy thing she did.

But I wouldn't trade the experience of at least trying to get what's in my head out there. I'm going to need a lot more drawing lessons if I ever hope to have any passing chance of drawing a decent picture. I'm going to need a lot more practice if I'm ever going to be flexible enough to try some of the tricks I used to be able to do with ease. Sure, if you don't try, you can still be as good as you think you are in your head. But where's the fun in that? Where's the belly laugh as you lay flopped out on the couch because you just did something totally ridiculous, and, if you're honest with yourself, totally fun?

One of the things I love about art journaling is that it is a safe place to experiment with those visions in your head, let yourself be ridiculous, and just have fun with it. I can't be ridiculous all the time, but sometimes, it's really cool to be able to let go. There's plenty of time and room in the world for us to be serious and responsible adults.

But when we give our brains room to play and try something different, we keep our brains active, healthy, and ready for the grown up challenges we face.


None of that, of course, has anything to do with the actual topic of today's art journal challenge. After all, as much as sensible Danica likes everything to tie up in neat bows, and the writer in me needs a perfect transition, sometimes it doesn't happen. And sometimes, I need to let that be okay.

Today's art journal challenge is your breath.


Here is my art journal entry:
"I am so thankful for my breath. Especially given that so many are sick and struggling to breathe. Thank you Lord for my beautiful, healthy, full breath and the way it works perfectly in my body. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

How can you give thanks for your breath today?


I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format












No comments: