Dropdown menu

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday: The first Christian book you remember reading

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday: The First Christian Fiction Book You Remember Reading

We have a new title! Faith 'n Fiction Saturday won by a long shot.

Now, if somebody wants to make us a button, we can all be super happy! :)

Today's Question:

We all come to faith in Jesus at different times in our lives and we all come to Christian fiction at different times, too! What's the first book in the Christian fiction genre you can remember reading? What was your impression of it? Did it make you want to read more or less?

My Answer:

Yikes! For as much as I have a memory of the books I read, this first isn't one I can remember. I actually started reading Christian fiction a while back, and I was really disappointed with the poor quality of books, so I stopped. I just didn't feel like they depicted characters and situations I could relate to. Then, I started reading Steeple Hill books (probably Margaret Daley, because I love her) and I thought, huh, maybe I misjudged. So I started reading more Christian fiction, and I've been pleasantly surprised to discover a lot of great books and authors. A variety of characters, a variety of situations, and they reflected a lot of the values important to my faith.

9 comments:

kalea_kane said...

I was much like you, Danica. It wasn't really that I didn't want to read Christian fiction, but like Christian music back then, I didn't really enjoy it. Well, let me say I enjoyed Christian music AT CHURCH, but I would not be listening to it for enjoyment. Now I love Christian fiction and Christian music. I feel like I get so much more from both now. :)

Kay Day said...

I remember reading the kids version of Pilgrim's Progress WAY back. And a novel called Treasures of the Snow and In His Steps. These were all when I was a young teen, I guess, or maybe even younger.
These were required reading in my Christian school.

The Christian book I read by choice was probably Love Came Softly by Janette Oke when I was a teenager. I liked all of them. Even those I had to read for school. But I did go through a time of not reading much Christian fiction because it started to all seem the same.

Sunny said...

Seems like a lot of people felt the same way you did. I'm glad you came back to it, now that there's more variety!

Wendi said...

Yes - some of the older Christian fiction seemed to be more of the cookie-cutter variety where all the stories were the same. I'm glad to see great new authors and stories emerging!

:) Wendi

Ausjenny said...

I agree with Kay and Wendi. some of the earlier writers were very similar. Today there is more realism in some books. I still love some of the older ones but people like Lori Wick have gotten better with each series.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I don't know too much about the "older" Christian fiction, but I'm glad that what is out there today is good stuff! There are so many awesome Christian books to choose from!

Margaret Daley said...

I so totally agree about how Christian fiction has become. I've read some compelling stories and at the same time they reinforce my core values and give me a sense of hope.
Margaret

Danica Favorite said...

Yes, I am definitely impressed with the books today. Thanks so much for sharing

siteseer said...

I don't remember a title, but it was by Janette Oke. I was surprised that there were any authors that wrote Christian fiction. I liked them and they gave me a feeling of connectedness.