Dropdown menu

Friday, November 07, 2008

Friendship blessings

Today, I had my usual Panera time. Over the past couple months, I've started meeting a few girlfriends at a different Panera and we all write together. Lots of fun. Today, it struck me how sometimes God answers prayers so subtly that you don't always notice them.

My friend Robbie was already there when we got there. She moved around tables and arranged things so we'd all have a place to sit together. Maybe that sounds like a silly thing, but I'm not the kind of person who likes to make waves. I would never move tables around because I'd be afraid of messing things up. But Robbie, she's a friend with courage. And I appreciate how she's willing to do the things I'm too shy to do.

Then, my friend Kay arrived with a present for me. Nothing big, but something very sweet. It was just really cool to be sitting there and have someone walk in with an unexpected gift because she was thinking of me.

Finally, my friend Denise showed up, and there's just something special about her. I can't explain it. I feel like she's someone I know from someplace else, but we've never been able to figure out where.

So there I was, working on my book, occasionally sharing a comment or a laugh with three friends, it occurred to me how God has answered a prayer I've been praying for a long time. Most of my friends live all over the world and we see each other when we can, maybe once or twice a year. For a long time, I've prayed for friends who lived closer, so we could meet for coffee or tea on a regular basis. And I'll admit, they aren't as close as I'd like, but you know, God came through on this one.

I kept thinking about how blessed I am, and how even though they've been my friends for a while, that they were really an answer to a prayer. I love how God arranged these women in my life so perfectly.

Kay's present was a book of encouraging thoughts. It was perfect. Even more perfect is that the little bookmark thing marked a page that had a beautiful quote:
"What brings joy to the heart is not so much the friend's gift as the friend's love." Saint Aelred


Thanks for bringing me joy. I have some pretty cool friends. And an amazing God.

1 comment:

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

You are truly blessed. Besides husband and children, true friends have to be the most important gift from God. How special that you noticed how God had answered your prayer. :)