Dropdown menu

Sunday, June 03, 2007

I know, I'm sorry!!

Yes, I know, some folks are a bit worried that I haven't blogged lately. To say that my life is crazy is a bit of an understatement. I've done a lot of things since I last posted, so let's get started on a brief pictorial rundown.

I knew people would probably have a hard time believing that we began our trip with a run-in with the police, so I took a picture. I'm convinced that part of the reason we didn't end up in jail is that the cop saw the crazy lady with the camera and didn't want to mess with her. Okay, maybe not. But it makes a fun story. The real story isn't half as interesting, and frankly, I'd probably get a lot of hate mail for it, so we'll just let you make up your own. :)
This is where I spent my Memorial Day Weekend. The Pine Ridge Reservation in Oglala, SD. The poorest county in the United States. A place of amazing poverty, and I don't just mean material poverty. My dear friend Tess had invited me to go with her and I'm so humbled and grateful she invited me to join her. It was such an incredible time, I can't even begin to describe it. Remind me (and NO, not in today's comments, smart alecks who think they're off the hook by doing it) to share more later. Do visit her site if you want more pics, because I'm only doing a few. However, I do want to share two others... of two of the loveliest women I know.

We spent most of our time in Oglala fixing up an old trailer for some folks to live in. Which was great practice for my homecoming. I did not come home to, "honey, you worked so hard, come put your feet up, let me pamper you, go sit in the hot tub and relax." Nope. This wimpy woman came home to the construction zone known as her house and all the preparations for selling it and buying a new one. Ugh. So I traded in my paintbrush for another paintbrush.

And so, our ugly green house, the landmark by which we are able to navigate and tell folks where to find us, became a tan house. Yep. Tan. Hard to tell in the picture, but this here is a photo of our rednecky green house with a trace of tan. Fortunately, it is now mostly tan, but in need of a second coat and some white trimwork. Any volunteers?

We're also working on the interior. One of the main projects is the flooring. Our flooring is so ugly and horrible that we'd have to pay someone to take our house. That Man and B worked together to get two layers of ugly linoleum off the kitchen floor so we could put down wood. Of course, before we put down the new floor, we also had to paint. I figure, might as well mess up the old stuff before we get the new stuff in. We'll not focus on the other four rooms we still have to tear apart and paint before the new carpet gets in. Ugh.


No, you aren't hallucinating if you think you see my fridge and my stove in the dining room. We had to move them out of the kitchen so we can put wood down in the kitchen. Note the wood in our dining room. At least we've got one room done! And yes, both rooms ARE painted! I think the yellow may be a little too bright, but we'll see what happens once we get the trim done and the furniture all where it belongs. At the moment, my dining room furniture is sitting on the back deck, covered in plastic. However, I also have a lot of the stuff from the kitchen and dining room in my living room. And since our dining room table is on the deck, we put a card table up in the living room so we can eat indoors. Not that I'm doing much cooking. Remember the location of my stove? We're making do with pizza and subs.

I keep telling people that if That Man and I survive this project, we can survive anything. We are so different that working together is a bit hard. He likes "being together" and does everything in this weird way that has no apparent logic to me. I prefer working without him on top of me and having everything done in an orderly fashion. Do we see where homicide might be a viable option? He's actually a great worker and does a good job. But since we both like to do things our own way, accepting the other person's way isn't always on the agenda. But we're trying. I'm learning to deal with the fact that everything is such a disorganized mess. I even spent the afternoon working right alongside him, and *gasp* I even said, "honey, what do you want me to do?" I even did it. :) And to his credit, he hasn't killed me for all of my weird freak out moments and my insistence on having certain things done right.

So if you don't see me for a while, I'm probably buried somewhere underneath paint, carpet, and other home improvement accoutrements. I may or may not be dead, depending on whether or not I've gotten on That Man's last nerve. Our anniversary is coming up in a few days. Anyone want to place any bets as to whether or not we'll both survive it?

3 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

LOL you'll survive it.

y'all are doing a great job! I wish I would have realized sooner what y'all were working on today. I thought you were putting in the floor... and i would be in the way so I didn't offer to help. of course, I did have that online meeting this afternoon with a client that took THREE HOURS!!! I put on my headphones to block out the noise and next thing I know, y'all have the trailer loaded!

Jana said...

Bless your heart! Hope ya'll get through it alive and well! (((hugs)))

How cute is B though, helping Dad with the floor! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, you're like that show Designed to Sell! I love that show. You have to be sure and show us after pictures! :)