Dropdown menu

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The truth is so good I have to turn it into fiction

My clients of late have been giving me fodder for all sorts of things.

The first, not really on a writing front, but I've had this idea for a long time that I need to write a letter to my congressman to ask for a bill proposing a change to tax law.  I think parents who pay child support, but can't claim the kid, should at least get some sort of tax credit for it.  So, the other day, I had a client, who is getting royally screwed because of how much child support is taken from his check, which I don't think is a big enough paycheck to live off of, let alone what he's got left after paying child support, and I was reminded of it.  I have no idea how to go about proposing a bill, but hey, the idea's there, and maybe when the tax season is over, I can get right on that.  heh.

The second, this client tonight was hillarious.  I have to ask if she's married, so I do, and she says yes, but she's filing separate and in the middle of a divorce.  Okay.  A few minutes later, she interrupts me and says, "Oh, but it's a marriage of convenience."  Now you know me, the writer, I am DYING to ask.  But I was good.  I didn't.  But I really wanted to know.  So we're working on the return, she talks about her boyfriend, and then has to go home to get a checkbook and come back.  Okay, fine.  She returns, and before I can say anything, she says, "first I need to tell you about my marriage.  I don't want you to think I'm a bad person, since I'm married, but I have a boyfriend."

Can I just say that it was by far, the best story I've heard in a long time?  I'm writing it now.  SHUT UP to the voices reminding me of my OTHER projects.  I mean, this is one I've NEVER heard before.  It's actually more of a marriage of inconvenience than it is a marriage of convenience, but it is SO good.

Oh, I am so excited now... Shoot, I planned on going to bed early and giving some attention to That Man, who is feeling deprived.  Ah well, he doesn't have a job, so I'll spend time with him tommorrow.  OR, I can wake him up with my giggling when I get to bed and he'll send me to my computer and I can keep working.  Tee Hee.  I'm so brilliant.

2 comments:

Jana said...

LOL!! Now I'm dying to know what the story was. I guess I'll have to wait and see when you get it published, right? :-)

Bailey Stewart said...

Love those lightbulb moments.