Dropdown menu

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Challenge Day 24

2014-12-24 22.44.38Merry Christmas!! It's still Christmas Eve at my house, and I'm sitting in my office, listening to Christmas music, and enjoying the peace of the evening. All this mommy wanted for Christmas was a clean house, and I sort of got it. I tried, but we have a bathroom under construction, so hubby was too busy with that to help me. I'd rather a working toilet in that bathroom, so I think I'll give him a pass. :)

After spending the day cleaning (I know, so glamorous!) and working on house projects, we went to Christmas Eve service, then came home, did some cooking, and then had some yummy appetizers. After dinner, we played games as a family. Not the most exciting night, but for my little one, it was her Christmas dream come true.

In a way, I think Christmas is about dreams coming true. For years, the Jews had longed for the Messiah, and the birth of Jesus fulfilled that dream. He didn't come in the way people thought he would, and I wonder if that's like a lot of our dreams. I know none of mine have happened the way I thought they would.

Today's art journal challenge is a symbol of the season.


There are so many lovely symbols of the season, and as I sat in church tonight, I was overwhelmed by the beauty and majesty of it all. Ultimately, when I sat down to do my art journal, my shallow, pretty shiny need won out. I am talking, of course, about my silver and gold sharpies. I seriously love my sharpies. And whenever I get an excuse to whip out the silver and gold ones, I go to town. Which meant I had to choose the symbol that most readily allowed me to play with my pretty shiny pens.

But that's okay, because I think the star is just one more example of things not happening the way people thought they would. No fireworks or loud trumpets. Just a beautiful star, which, from a human perspective, especially back then, is nothing spectacular. But if you know anything about stars, and you see the pictures of stars up close, they're absolutely amazing. I imagine that the star God chose to herald Jesus's birth was breathtaking.

Here is my entry for today:
"I am so thankful for the star as a symbol of the season. I love the comfort of knowing that God gave such a wonderful, easy to follow sign. For me the star is a sign that we are not alone. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

What symbol of the season is meaningful to you?


I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format














 

No comments: