Dropdown menu

Monday, December 08, 2014

December Thanksgiving Art Journal Challenge Day Eight

2014-12-08 23.07.56It has to be an omen of happiness that I am starting this art journal post at 11:11 p.m. For whatever reason, 11:11 is my most favorite time. So YAY!! Today is a testimony to how wonderful this art journal challenge is for me. I'm just going to be super honest and say it was a craptastical day. A lot of things went wrong, and a big project at work got messed up, leading to my enjoying a twelve hour work day. I have to remind myself that some people work twelve hours a day regularly so I need to be grateful that this pretty much only happens a couple times a year. So YAY. But it was still a really hard day.

And here I am, at the end of this really bad day, looking back and thinking about the things I can be thankful for, and I have to say, my life doesn't really seem all that bad after all.


You see, once you start thinking about one thing you're thankful for, you start thinking of all the other things you're thankful for. And on this really bad day, where a lot of things went wrong, it's really good to have all those wonderful things to look at. It also reminds me that I have so many more important things in my life, and ten years from now, I won't remember this bad day, but the good moments, the ones I wrote about in my art journal.

If you look at my picture today, it's harried and not very good. I probably wouldn't have been able to draw a better Starbucks cup with more time, but I probably would have made the scene prettier or something. But let's face it. It's after 11 on a really long day, and I want to go to bed. And that's okay. I gave my creative spirit a little chance to step out and be heard, and I gave my heart a few moments of thanksgiving. And that, my friends, is what turned my feelings of UGH around. My life is pretty good. The good moments make it all worthwhile.

Today's topic is a moment this week.


And you know, I picked a moment from today. I took a break from work to pick my daughter up from school, and I just love our time in the car together. Today, since I was stressed and in need of a pick-me-up, and I think she wanted a little something too, on the way home, we stopped at Starbucks and got our favorite drinks, and I got one to bring home to her sister. A little thing, and even though my kids love Starbucks, I don't get it for them very often, so it's a special thing.

Here's what I wrote in my art journal:
"I'm so grateful that I could run to Starbucks after school and get treats for the girls. It's been a long hard day and I'm thankful for the moment of joy when I told my kids yes to having a special treat. I love moments of yes. I love moments with my kids. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

What moment this week are you thankful for?


 

I'd love for you to share your art journal masterpieces. You can either post them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #DecemberThanksgiving, or feel free to email me if you want to keep it private.

And, if you'd like to receive a PDF with all the challenges for this month, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter!

You can sign up here:



Subscribe to my mailing list to join in the December Thanksgiving Challenge!


* indicates required







Email Format












No comments: