Dropdown menu

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Friday: We have a reputation to uphold

Friday I actually slept in until like 9. Which really, is not so late, considering it was 7 my time, and I’d been going to bed at my usual bedtime-my time. People who get up this early regularly have to be on something. Thought about the Harlequin Spotlight, which is where I was supposed to be, but I wasn’t feeling well, and frankly, there’s something people need to know about me and conference. I am exhausted. I know, everyone thinks I’m all bubbly and full of energy. It’s a front. The second I’m forced to sit still, I fall asleep. I was also having mega cramps, and the only way for me to deal with that is to either keep moving or take drugs, knock myself out, and sleep. I chose to keep moving.

So, I decided to introduce Joanne to one of the best parts of conference. Free books. We went to signings. The good thing about that is that I get to keep moving. Plus, I did mention free books, right? Mother ship, I commune with thee. I was also good here, though, only getting the books I really needed, and if I thought I might have it, or didn’t know the author, I passed. I only ended up with half of the books I did last year.

The crew and I (minus our PA, who actually had business of her own-the nerve!) went to lunch at Gibney’s Pub, and for the first time, I had Shepherd’s Pie. Yummy stuff. Another rule about when I travel-it’s all about the food. I go to places I wouldn’t ordinarily see or eat at and always try to eat something regional. Definitely the grits of the day before qualify there.

After lunch, it was more signings, more socializing, more promotion of the site. My PA says I’m very good at what I do-and I didn’t even pay her to say it. Tee Hee.

Went to the Blaze anniversary party, which was a lot of fun, and oh MY! The cake was delicious.

Then, the hosty crew and our PA met for dinner. Mine was recommended to me by one of our author friends known for her good taste in food, but I have to say I was less than enthralled with it. I ate it, though, because I was hungry. Left room for the dessert extravaganza at the Harlequin party.

Took a bath, read part of a book, and then got ready for the party at the Ritz. Fun, fun, fun. We took a cab, even though it was only a couple of blocks. The party was nice, did the usual dancing until our feet hurt so much we thought we were going to die. It’s funny, the first songs they play are always the same. But fun, so who cares?

As I informed Joanne in the elevator to meet up with folks, we have a reputation to uphold. The Steeple Hill and eHarlequin folk are known for being the most fun, hands down. We’re the first on the dance floor, and the last to leave. That’s just how it is. While we had a couple of gimpys with us (Dee and Jeanette), I am pleased to say that we did our part to uphold our reputation. The party was supposed to end at Midnight, and they finally kicked us out at 1. We did walk home, but there was a whole pack of us (around 20), and I ended up plotting a rather cool continuity series with a few authors. We decided it should go across all lines. It would be totally fun.

We were all hyped up from the party, so we tried to see who was in the hotel bar, but by the time we got there, they were kicking everyone out. Party poopers. And for those of you who don’t go, I should point out that it’s not about the drinking. Yes, some folks go and get drunk, but most of us go to chat and have a good time. Anyway, since there was no action to be found, the crew and I went to bed.

No comments: